Sunday 19 September 2010

CHAPTER 15 - GOOD NEWS

Bobby’s cheek was still on fire; Louise had left a very noticeable print. But in spite of the drama that had just transpired, Bobby was excited. As he sat in the car, he hit re-redial and rang up his previous caller, “Yes, this is Robert Goren. I just wanted to let you know my schedule has changed. I am available this afternoon if that is convenient for you.” He listened intently then replied, “Great, I will see you at 1:30. Thank you.” He looked at his watch, 11:30. Since he had time to kill, he decided to go to one of his favorite coffee shops. As he started in, he stopped at a sidewalk newsstand to pick up a morning paper. He ordered his coffee and found a place to hunker down.
He managed to stay put for about an hour then decided to head out. As he drove, he wondered how his name came to their attention; he would soon find out. As he entered the stately old building, a pleasant woman who introduced herself as Val in a very proper English accent greeted him warmly and motioned for him to follow her; they walked down a long corridor then stopped in front of double doors marked Conference Room. She smiled and wished him luck then stepped in the room and announced, “Mr. Goren is here.” Bobby stepped in and faced about a half dozen people seated at a long conference table. A distinguished looking man seated at the head of the table stood and shook Bobby’s hand then introduced his tablemates. He motioned for Bobby to sit. A middle age man, introduced as Skip, broke the silence, “Well Mr. Goren, as I told you earlier, you are being considered for a position here at CUNY.” Bobby smiled, “Please, call me Robert.” Skip nodded and continued, “You are, without a doubt, one of the top profilers in the country and we are prepared to offer you a position as an instructor in Criminal Profiling. That is, if you are interested.” Before Bobby could answer, one of the women interrupted, “Mr. Goren, I think it is only fair to let you know, we are aware of some of your difficulties in your past employment.” The man who had greeted Bobby rolled his eyes, “For God’s sake El, don’t be so dramatic!” Skip shook his head and grinned at Bobby, “I think we are prepared to make the offer to your liking.” Bobby replied, “Then I guess we should talk.” Bobby trotted happily to his car; he had just accepted a dream job. He could not wait to share the good news. He dialed Alex and tried to contain his excitement when she answered, “Alex, do you have any plans for this afternoon?”“No. Why?” Alex inquired. “I need to come by. I, I have something I need to tell you,” Bobby explained. Alex hesitated then asked nervously, “Sure. Is everything okay?” “I will tell you when I get there. See you in about an hour,” he told her. “Bobby. Bobby-” Alex was saying as he hung up. “Damn it!” she muttered.
He pulled in to Alex’s drive and willed himself not to run up the front steps. When he started to knock, she jerked the door open. As he pushed past her, he put on his best game face. “Do I smell coffee? I need some coffee. You’ve got coffee, right?” he asked as he headed to the kitchen. “Bobby, what is it? What do you want to tell me?” Alex asked as she followed. Bobby was having fun with this. “Talk to me Bobby,” Alex begged. He was struggling not to explode with excitement and his voice sounded strained, “Let’s sit down, okay?” Alex’s heart skipped a beat; he had his share of unhappiness, she didn’t think he could handle much more.
Bobby led the way to the couch and they sat. He felt Alex looking at him and he returned her gaze. She swallowed hard, “Bobby?” she whispered. He looked at her, “I have left the center but-” he hesitated, “I have accepted a job as an instructor of Criminal Profiling at CUNY.” Alex looked confused, “What?” Bobby repeated the news with a bright smile. “Get Out!” she exclaimed. Bobby happily reported the happenings of the day. “Bobby that is wonderful news,” she responded and before she gave it a second thought, she grabbed him and planted a kiss squarely on the lips. She glanced at him nervously when she pulled away. He sat quietly staring at her. She dropped her eyes and stared at the floor then felt his hand under her chin as he lifted her head to gaze directly into her eyes. He slowly, gently moved his hand across her cheek to the back of her neck and pulled her toward him as he leaned in, softly kissing her lips. They reluctantly pulled apart; neither said a word. Bobby leaned in and kissed her again. Once. Twice. Long. Lingering. Sweet. When Alex’s eyes fluttered open, she was staring in to those rich chocolate brown eyes. She shuddered involuntarily, her heart pounding, a blush flooding her face. Bobby smiled shyly, “I have wanted to do that for a very long time,” he whispered and rested his forehead on hers. Her only answer was a sharp intake of breath when he gently stroked her cheek. “Bobby,” Alex whispered. He nodded, “I know,” he replied in an equally hushed voiced. They pulled away from each other and sat in silence. It seemed to be an eternity. Bobby took a deep breath and stood and as he stood, he pulled Alex up with him. As he held her, he rested his chin on the top of her head while she rested it against his chest. Alex couldn‘t miss the quickening of his heartbeat as he said, “I should have done this years ago but I couldn’t-with us being partners and all-” he trailed off. Alex hesitated then whispered, “The other night, you told me you were only interested in the present. I, I feel the same.” Minutes passed then they walked to the door hand in hand. Bobby broke the silence, “See you tomorrow.” Alex wondered if it was a question or a demand. They kissed goodnight, both of them wondering what tomorrow may bring.

By Lynn.

5 comments:

Miex said...

That was wonderful to read.
Can't wait to read the next chapter!

Anonymous said...

Yay, Val made an appearance love that. Makes the story more real.
I couldn't read the story fast enough. I put myself in Alex's shoes, my head on Bobby's chest. Heaven. Keep it coming. Love it!

ann said...

yes yes yes
more more more

Ruby said...

Ooo, what WILL happen tomorrow? 'Can't wait to read more! Just beautiful, Lynn!

val said...

Sadly, Beverly, this Val doesn't speak "in a very proper English accent", just a very casual London one.

And yes, Ann, more - from you too!